Re: [Amc-list] Days of Whine & Roses

" From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm having 'Issues' :
"
" $5.00 Gal. Gasoline / 20 Gal. Tank = $100.00.
"
"
" Googled up the AMC 360 V8 today wondering of best
" mileage achieved - ran across JEEPers talking 360 vs 258
" mpg comparisons.
"
" Surprisingly, the 360 between 13 - 24 mpg with the
" 258 at 14 - 21 mpg.
"
" Not written in stone - some had swamper 31" etc. -
" but general consensus held a 360 V-8 could deliver
" better mileage than a 258 I-6 for varying reasons.
"
" The 2bbl. 360 made less mileage than a small primaries
" 4bbl - and less power.

when my folks were ordering their '66 bel air wagon, i tried to talk
dad into ordering a v8 instead of a 6, as i'd just read that the 283
was rated 23 mpg whereas the 230 was only 20.  [he didn't go for it]

took me a while, but i finally figured out the reason was air/fuel
distribution.  the v8 had a pretty good intake setup but the 6 just
went for cost and wasn't picky.  a modern 6 like the 4.0 is at the
other end of this spectrum.

[also from the '60s was a comparison of pontiac catalinas with
smallblock and bigblock powertrains, and getting identical mileage.
the conclusion was the bigblock was loafing where the smallblock had
to work harder.  different gearing played a part]

" []
" Rather than a 6spd. Automatic - swap in the Mercedes Sourced Rubicon
" 6 speed manual Transmission - which Bolts onto an AMC V-8 - rated @
" 280ft.lbs. Torque.

this is an nsg370; officially rated 370 newton-meters, ~242 ft-lbs.

" These are low mileage - selling for $800.00 used - leave off the
" Transfer Case for a further weight / MPG savings:
"
" http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/800033/jeep-transmission/six-speed-transmission/index.html

they're also widely used in mercedes cars and suvs, including the g
and m class which are available in europe with the same diesels we get
here in their cars and even sprinter vans.  i've been thinking this
would be a clever way to put a '00-'05 e320cdi straignt 6 into an xj -
~200 hp, ~300 ft-lbs, and probably 35 mpg...