[Amc-list] WRONG!! 195.6 and 232/etc fuel pumps NOT! interchangable

[Amc-list] WRONG!! 195.6 and 232/etc fuel pumps NOT! interchangable

I can state with some authority (ahem) that you CANNOT! just stick the
lever from a 232 Carter dual-action pump into a 195.6 dual action
pump... and have it last more than 25 miles.

OK I was an idiot.

I haven't examined the debris yet but suffice to say, bombing down the
605 with two dogs on thw way to the dog beach and having the pump stop
pumping was Not Fun. Carb went dry.

Got the pump out, hoping for a side-of-the-road fix, and lo, the inner
end of the lever SNAPPED OFF. Clearly it was too much load, wrong
stroke, or other obvious-to-Carter-and-AMC-but-not-me blunder.

Gee, they looked so similar...

Long story short (involving friend driving down to get said dogs) I
bought ANOTHER! 79 Concord fuel pump from a nearby AutoZone, that worked
fine.

We drove to the beach and back w/o further incident.

When I got home, I installed a three-legged fuel filter and took
advantage of my new tank return line.