Re: [Amc-list] Water Powered Engine now slightly OT

At 02:41 PM 6/13/2008, Andrew Hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
>"
>" Joe Fulton wrote:
>"
>" > Well, it's not the nuclear reactors that make people
>" > nervous really, it's the nuclear waste created,
>" > transported and stored.
>"
>" Yup; what I fear about them is 99% due to cheapskate cost-cutters
>" running them, taking chances, lowest-cost, no future vision. Blasphemy:
>" they should be nationalized (France...) and have a 100 or 250 year plan.
>" No business could ever have that sort of vision.
>
>no politician ever could either, and i wouldn't trust a bureaucracy of
>pointy-headed civil servants to safely operate the sort of nuke plants
>we have now.
>
>hanford had just completed work on an inherently failsafe plant -
>which relied on basic physics and not a control system - when they
>were shut down by pres. clinton for cost saving reasons.  give him
>credit - he almost had the budget balanced when the oilmen took over.

The new generation of nuclear plants currently on the drawing boards
(with several now under construction) is based on these principles.

http://ap1000.westinghousenuclear.com/index.html
http://gepower.com/prod_serv/products/nuclear_energy/en/new_reactors/esbwr.htm

Both reactor designs rely more on passive systems to improve
safety.  The industry is moving toward standard designs that will
streamline construction and operation.

--Glen