[Amc-list] off topic- vehicle history

Other than Carfax and other pay services, is there any way to check the history of a vehicle? My brother in law bought a mini van a couple years ago and the engine went bad on it almost a year later. It has been sitting with the intent to repair it and he has now decided to get rid of it. We were moving it a few days ago and I happened to notice a small sticker inside the drivers door. A closer look revealed that it basically says that Washington State Patrol has inspected the vehicle and it is listed as Salvage/Rebuild. Now we are curious about the history of the vehicle.

Thanks.
Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA
1966 Rambler American 220 Station Wagon
1984 AMC Eagle Limited Station Wagon
1986 AMC Eagle Station Wagon
1991 Dodge Grand Caravan
1991 Dodge Grand Caravan (parts)
And now completely Jeepless (sold the last wag on monday and sold the Comanche today).