Re: [Amc-list] Orange wins!

When I was ~15 years old, my grandfather and I ended up with a 66 Ambassador 990 sedan as a project. We spent time working on it and got it running and driving. It was a pretty solid old car, having only a quarter panel issue as a result of poorly repaired previous damage. Something happened to the engine and I didn't have time/resources to fix it, etc. and the car fell by the wayside. My grandfather had passed away in the meanwhile, so while I wasn't in a position to do anything with the car (I had too many other cars, including many AMCs by this point) I really didn't have the heart to dispose of the car. And, while it was inactive some punk had taken it upon himself to smash out the windshield, leaving the car partially open to the elements. After this happened, I kept it covered with a succession of tarps, replacing them when they would rot. This managed to preserve the car fairly well.
After halfheartedly trying to sell the car as a project/parts car for a long time, I was finally contacted by a fellow by the name of  Peter Wilberg in North Carolina, who told me he owned Dick Teague's 1966 Ambassador-Marlin hybrid. The Teague car had been victim to front end collision damage and Wilberg wanted my car as parts. We agreed on a very modest sum of money and he sent his son with a truck and trailer to retrieve it. I thus bade farewell to my 66 Ambo (and a bunch of clean spare parts from a 66 Classic). I figured it would be scrapped once the front end parts had been removed. Very sad, but at least it was one less car to have on hand to deal with.
I was surprised a few months later to receive correspondence from Wilberg regarding the car. Upon getting the car home and inspecting it, he decided the car was simply too good to scrap and he did a driveline swap, during which he converted the car to a 4-speed, and he gave it a paint job. He sent me a photo of it in its improved state, which warmed my heart to no end. I'm very pleased that the car DIDN'T meet its ultimate fate and it had the chance to continue life anew. I heard no more about it, but I hope this car is still rolling the roads!

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee
81 Spirit GT