Re: [Amc-list] strut rods (was RE: Shock absorbing goodness!)

Dan Strohl wrote:
> I guess this is to Frank in particular. I think I see now where I messed
> up over the weekend. I had the front end up on jackstands (good sturdy
> ones, yes) when I installed my strut rods and brackets, but found that I
> couldn't get the rear (2-piece) bushings on due to interference with the
> frame. I'll just pop 'em on when I get it down on the ground, thought I.
> But once I got the car off the jackstands, there still seems to be
> interference with the frame.
>
> So I'm thinking now - and correct me if I'm wrong - that I should put
> the front end back up on jackstands, remove the brackets, take it off
> the jackstands and THEN install the brackets. Correct?

What year and model car is this? Sorry, I forgot!

Since the strut positions the outer (tire) end of the lower arm, if
you've raised and lowered the car, then the arm has wiggled around and
needs to be pushed into the right position for the two bolts to go into
the arm.... this is why I do mine with the tire simply sitting on the
ground; the weight on the tire keeps the lower arm in the correct
position relative to the chassis.

It IS easier to assemble with the strut bracket removed, but if the
suspension is in it's normal ride-height position, you can leave it in;
tpush the bushing end in first, then lift it up to the lower am and use
a drift to help locate the two bolts (7/16" x 2"? grade 8's).

I assume you have the later, adjustable struts, eg. a nut on the inside
of the bushing and one on the outside. The older cars, the front-most
cupped washer is held in a fixed position by a stamped flare in the rod.
Later ones are straight and tapped up past the bushing so that the
front-most cup washer is stopped by the nut.

If you have the non-adjustable type, then it is almost certain that you
cannot use ANY store-bought bushing.

If it looks like the strut in this photo you are ska-wewed:
http://wps.com/AMC/Strut-bushing/index.html

If it looks like this you will be OK:
http://wps.com/AMC/Strut-bushing-modern/index.html