Re: [Amc-list] Shock absorbing goodness!

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 5 beer day.
> My sons graduation party, still going on...
> My birthday!

Congratulations!

> When you do the fronts, don't hang the front wheel when you unbolt the shocks.

I do shocks with the car simply sitting on the ground. Nothing's over
extended or under tension. Since the lower's you just need a 9/16" deep
socket it's fairly easy.

Assumes stock Rambler suspension height! My wagon's got 9" or so ground
clearance!

If I'm doing no other suspension work at the same time, I do strut
bushings the same way, on the ground. If you do it with the wheel off
the ground, the lower arm puts a crapload of stress on the strut and
it's impossible to get it assembled. With the lower arm in it's normal
ride height, the strut has almost no forces on it.

Another advantage of doing it sitting on the ground is you maintain
alignment enough to get drivable to the alignment shop (which it will
immediately need with new bushings).

I don't trust ramps, I've not seen a pair I would trust, those
stamped/formed steel things scare me. Good cast and good-welded
jackstands I have a lot of. I once had one of those cheap steel stands
(the three legs are just the tubing split with little straps across the
bottom) collapse on me -- I had literally just crawled out from under
the car (79 Spirit V8) and >WHUMP!< down it went. I threw them all away
and bought cast ones.