[Amc-list] (no subject)

Bruce, 17 mpg for an "in town" figure (short runs with several starts/stops) isn't bad at all! On the highway you should easily get 3-5 mpg more, so 20-22 mpg is an easily attainable goal. I'd keep cruising speed down to 55-60, but I routinely ran my 63 American w/auto trans, 3.31 gears, and 196 OHV/2V 65-70 mph and still averaged 19 mpg combined city/highway driving. The 196 does sound like it's working hard at around 2500 rpm, but it will run all day like that. I hardly ever ran it any faster than that for any length of time. You might want to get a small tach, at least temporarily, to see what rpm you're running. I'd definitely go with a Pertronix conversion too! That will actually net you 1-2 mpg just from more consistent fire. A hotter coil (factory Ford electronic ignition coil, or Pertronix) would be of benefit too. The stock points coil is 30-35K volts, stock electronic ignition 45-50K. Then run a slightly wider plug gap, same plugs. 0.035-0.040 gap.

Tom, I've got an article on those Mobil Economy runs. Those guys didn't run over 40-45 mph, used the free-wheeling feature of the OD religiously (let off the gas when going down hill -- w/OD if the driveshaft turns faster than the engine it free-wheels to prevent over revving the engine), and took off slowly, getting into high gear as soon as possible. So drive slower than a 90 year old grandma and you too can get up to 30 mph in your Rambler! It's just not practical to drive the way those guys did.

Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 17:26:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sun, 25 May 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Anyway, I'm pretty happy with better than 17, and it looks like 20-21
> would definately be within reach!

Oh yeah, with your setup that's probably just fine for in-town
putt-putt. At whatever the cruise "sweet spot" is for your car
I doubt you'll get less than 22mpg or so.

All in all, highway driving is really easy on cars! Freeways
are more or less flat and level, with controlled grades. Unless
congested, no stress on brakes. Only if the suspension is rotten
will it be unpleasant or worse. The open road sees steady cruise
speed, lots of airflow, and low accel/decel.

I think though if the rings were better mine would get better
mileage. I run wide tires, but 34 psi. 50 weight in the
transmission, overdrive, 2100 rpm@60mph, it ought to be better
than 22mpg I think.

I wonder what cheats they pulled to get 30 mpg from those Mobil
Economy Runs! I assume thin oils everywhere, good for contesting
but not so good for longevity!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"