[Amc-list] 360 dampner

Hi guy's I put together a 360 for my son, but now I have a problem with it. I have built many AMC engines in the past, but I not ever had this problem. My son's engine is a 1970 360 with a 1977 304 crank in it so my son can use a Chrysler automatic. The problem is the dampener I bought for it is a new 360 dampener and it will not go on far enough to seal or engage with the key way. I don't know to describe the problem very well but there is a area about  a half an inch in, that fit's, then it is machined  very slightly wider after that. I looked at a few other dampeners I have and saw that they all have these but at different dept's. Okay what do I( need for this engine that will fit. I have always been told that 304 & 360 cranks were the same DA?