Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> I read what little I could find about the Mobil Economy runs. Per
> wikipedia: "In the 1964 run, a 6-cylinder Rambler American 440 sedan
> averaged 27.8336 miles per gallon (8.450 L/100km); once again, the
> best of all the cars that year.[6]"

That's pretty good performance from a 3.2 litre motor of antique
cast iron and not a transistor in sight.

> Wouldn't it be awesome to do a club-sponsored or owner-sponsored
> economy run? Something to show that collector cars and special
> interest cars can also be low cost to get into (depending on what you
> want), and economical to run?

That's not such a crazy idea... OK it fits the times, and it
would be a nice attraction for the non-of-the-above type car
nuts. And a place where Ramblers will kick some car ass! :-)

> My Corolla gets around 25-27 just tooling around, doing the same type
> of driving that got me 17.339 on the American. I'll try and improve
> the figure on the American.

FYI, our Escort LX automatic got about 20 MPG when we were
RACING! The pedal was literally to the floor the whole time,
first and second gear, and we ate off half the rubber on the
new Falken Azenis tires.  How times change... :-)