Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

A couple of comments Bruce:   I have an Innovate brand
wide band oxygen sensor in my opinion you need a
similar tool to correctly tune a carb.  Even a single
barrel Carter or Holley can be leaned out I think,
although I have not yet tuned a single barrel carb
with it.  You will need an oxygen sensor bung welded
in the exhaust pipe a few inches below the exhaust
manifold.  A blind plug comes with the unit or you can
plug the hole with a 14mm spark plug when you are not
using the unit.   Very lean mixtures are OK in most
engines at average highway power.  You just don't want
to be overly lean when you are making max power.

The other comment you made about an economy run sounds
like fun, but I would suggest that it be combined with
a rally so that participants would have to meet some
performance for timed distances or time intervals and
still get the best mileage.  That wold be fun and it
could be a way to involve our better halves or close
friends because a two-person crew could be required
and it is not allout racing.

Joe Fulton
Salinas,CA

 I've got a '65 330 sedan. I'm going to do my