[Amc-list] Torque Tube

Hi All,

I recently had a big stroke of good luck, and came across a 1962 Rambler
Classic which was for sale not far from where I live. I took the Mrs. to
have a look at it and it was nice, but since I have a driveway full of
older vehicles, I did not press the idea too hard, but finally got my wife
to suggest that I call the guy back, and it was still available, so it
ended up at my house.

It was when we went to move it that I found out why it was still for
sale: the T-96 is jammed into two gears at once. I beat on it but could not
dislodge it. No problem, since I had a spare T-96 in the back corner of my
garage behind my wife's retired 92 Dynasty (which made it to 198 K mi
before the A604 shifted into oblivion). After playing Houdini getting the
T-96 out, I have one big problem.

I have NEVER worked on a Torque Tube car. Had a 65 Marlin for years,
but never did anything with the Torque Tube.

The FSM says to unhook the Panhard rod and the braces from the axle
ends to the tube, and then unbolt the tube, and then move the axle
rearwards to take the tube out.
Is it REALLY that simple? Are there any "gotchas", or points to look out
for?
Anything to be sure to do while I have it apart?
The car has 57 K mi which looks to be original mileage (i.e., not 157 K mi)

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Jim Briggs
Leesburg VA
84 Eagle Wagon (258 auto)
81 Concord wagon (151 4 speed)
69 Rebel (232 2v auto)
82 Eagle SX4 project (258 auto)
64 American Wagon project (196 flathead 3 speed)
and now 62 Classic which will hopefully move quickly from project to car