Re: [Amc-list] Raining

I read something a couple of years ago about a similar problem with a GM
truck and it was a problem with a temperature sensor. A bad ECM
(computer) or a bad fuel pump relay (or wiring problem), and fuel
injection problems can also cause this problem. My younger brother had
an S-10 once that had a bad ECM and relay in it (along with a bunch of
wiring problems that lead to the ECM being fried).

When you turn the ignition on after the car has sat for awhile, do you
hear the fuel pump run (most cars run the fuel pumps for a few seconds
to pressurize the system)? If not, you may be able to bypass the relay
and get the fuel pump to run. If bypassing the relay makes it run, it's
either a relay or ECM (this can include other sensors). BTW, if
bypassing the relay doesn't do anything, try banging on the tank. If the
fuel pump starts running, the pump is bad.

What you really need to do is get a factory manual and follow the
no-start guides. http://www.alldatadiy.com/ has this information online.
You may also need a scan tool (they are pretty inexpensive for ODB I
systems) to do some of the procedures ant I can guarantee you'll need a
digital volt/ohm meter. They key is to figure out why the ECM isn't
turning on the fuel pump.

Matt

On 5/21/2008 9:35 AM, Joe Smith spouted this sage advice:
> I can't drive my Rambler when it rains yet because I haven't put the windshield wipers back on...
> (I had to work some AMC content in)
> So I drove my 89 Honda Accord, and here is my question... The Accord won't start if it is above 85 Farenheit.  The fuel pump will not "pump".  It turns over and all, but no fuel.  I replaced the fuel pump, and it seemed ok for about a month, but now it is playing the same old trick.  Any suggestions?   Sorry for a non-AMC question, but I trust you guys.  My mechanics have not been able to figure it out, and I am tired of paying for non-solutions.
>  http://360.yahoo.com/karl_haart

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com