[Amc-list] Lucky today I hope

I had the driveshaft balanced in my 77 Gremlin this
week and I had installed it and made a couple of small
repairs.  When I started the car, it ran terrible
after sitting for several days.  I looked under the
hood and found oil/gas mixture blowing out of the oil
filler tube and the same mixture leaking from the fuel
pump.    I figured that the fuel pump was bad.  The
oil smelled strongly of gas.

I installed a replacement pump from NAPA and changed
the oil and filter.  When I drained the oil there was
probably several quarts of extra liquid (gas) in the
pan.  It completely filled my large drain pan (which
doesn't fill up when I do a six quart oil change on my
truck).  The oil/gas mixture was very thin and I hoped
I had not damaged the bearings in the engine.  After
the oil change I started the engine and the initial
lifter clicking went away soon so I guess I'm OK.  The
engine sounds strong.

What did I learn?   Check the oil level frequently.  I
had not been doing that because there was no evidence
of oil burning and the engine was tight with no big
leaks.  The front crank seal or the pan gasket in
front had been weeping but not leaving any spots on
the pavement.  I hope I got away with this one.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA