[Amc-list] SR-4/T-4 in torque tube car

" > The rear of the transmission locates the torque
tube axle
" > assembly, and takes ALL of the fore and aft force
(braking and
" > accell). This transmits to the trans crossmember,
which transmits
" > to the sills via the little-known and rarely
maintained thrust
" > bushings. Even I didn't know I had any until they
went totally
" > rotten 1 years ago.

mine is the older 4 point mount. no trans cross
member. ALL the force would be on the trans. i dont
think the t5 could handle that force, PLUS hanging off
the bell. it just was not designed for that and does
not have the support ribs in place.

but, if i put the rebel rear end in my 62, i will have
the rebel 4 link adapted to my 62 classic. i wont have
to worry about the tt. i may just get that crossmember
figured out WHERE and HOW to mount it for the trans if
i do it.

when i go to put the 304 in, would that put my trans
at a different location?? i guess i could just mount
the motor mounts where they need to go to mate the
engine and trans so i wouldnt have to move my shifter?

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules