[Amc-list] Help diagnosing 4.0 loss of compression

[Amc-list] Help diagnosing 4.0 loss of compression

So the shop gets it figuring fuel pump or something in cooling... everything checks out.  Coolant is good with no oil, oil is good with no coolant, though it smells like it has gotten hot.

Timing chain?  Put number one on the mark, dist rotated properly to #1... seemed tight when rocked back and forth.

Here's the rub... ran a compression test and all cylinders almost dead.  SO how was it cruising the highway great and suddenly all cylinders are down?  Head gasket doesn't typically die that evenly.

Tech put oil in a couple of cylinders and saw no improvement.

..

Overheated & Pinging, hmm.

Thermostat failed ?

Might have windowed the pistons.

I'd tend toward the valves having stuck just enough
to get them bent.

That is a '90 4.0 Renix ?

Good pickinses there should the Owner decide to opt out
of a pricey rebuild.