[Amc-list] Holley 4-bbls for the 258 (was Webers)

[Amc-list] Holley 4-bbls for the 258 (was Webers)

I ran the Offy Dual-Port 258 intake on my CJ-5, with a 390 Holley.  Was great.

  Another option to the Holley 390-cfm is the new Truck Avenger 470-cfm 4-bbl.  They're a bit pricey, but would fit the bill.  They also sell a 'low rider' version of it, but I would suspect it's the same carb.  Quite a few FSJ guys like the 670-cfm Truck Avenger on their offroad Jeeps.

  Just as a side note, I ran a 780 Holley on my full-time 4wd Eagle (258-4-speed).  This was on a stock intake with a 4-bbl to 2-bbl adapter flipped over.  It ran GREAT, unless I really hammered the throttle down ... then it would big "a bit", LOL!

  Another option would be to find a Holley Economaster Quadrajet carb.  It's a Q-jet style carb, with the same diameter primary and secondary bores.  They're rated at 450-cfm and designed to replace a Q-jet on 350-455 CID stock engines.  I picked up a NOS one from Ebay for the stroker 304 build.

  Sincerely,
  Greg Taylor :)  <><

    Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Definitely NOT "too much carb"!! They were probably talking about the much more common and comparatively cheap (about half the price new or used!) 600 cfm Holley. The only people who have successfully run a 600 cfm vacuum secondary carb are racers (usually mud or sand racers) who run the engine in the higher rpm range a lot. 500 cfm is considered the max for a 258.

I'm running a 390 it the 258 could definitely use a little MORE carb. The big killer I believe is the very conservative stock cam though. After my experience with this Holley 390 (vacuum secondary, but blocked to force coming in at about 1/3 throttle opening) and Clifford intake I'd start with a 450 cfm carb. The only used ones I found were made for a choke coil in the intake on V-8s though, and I didn't want a manual choke. No electric or carb mounted conversion for those carbs, so the only option would have been manual. I know how to use a manual choke, just prefer electric. If I had to do it over a gain, however, I'd just use a manual choke.