Re: [Amc-list] Weber Carbs for the 258

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Clifton  Danley wrote:

> I need to replace the dreaded BBD on my 258 Spirit, and have found several
> variants of the Weber 2-barrel. Can you answer some questions?
>
> Which one will work best on a stock 258?
> Will it fit a stock manifold without an adapter?
> Will I need new linkage?
> Would a Clifford intake and 390 Holley work better?

Been there, done that.

I'm quite happy with my Weber DGEV 32/36. You want the "Jeep
Weber kit".  It comes with the necessary adapter, linkage parts,
etc. All I had to fab up was a wire to the electric choke,
and slightly different hose to the fuel pump.

It works great. I spent the time jetting it, it was worth
it. Wacky Italian hardware (don't try to figure out the jet
numbers, but the Weber book) but it works great. Lots of parts
available.

It's got a 32mm primary -- tiny! -- so it has great in-town
low end performance. THe mechanical, progressive secondary is
adjustable and has a slight feel to it, so you can squeeze
mileage by driving on the primary only. I easily get up to
freeway speeds without using it. But goose the 2ndary open and
it pulls just great.

Everyone's got their favorite brands. I've run many Holley's,
Edelbrocks, Carters, and most of the AMC stock carbs (but never
a BBD :-) I even like Carter YFs that everyone hates, they work
fine for me (but I'm a carb wimp; no real cold weather here,
though I did manage to make them run OK in Massachusetts when
I lived there).

The Holley's always seem to need fooling around with. Probably
great for racers, less so for me on the street.  I found them to
be terrible with altitude changes (eg. sea level Los Angeles to
Santa Fe NM, 7000 feet) whereas the Weber was OK. No carb that
I know of is very good at altitude changes, but the Holley was
like driving with the choke on at high altitudes when adjusted
to sea level.

YOur mileage may vary (literally).