[Amc-list] light flywheels, T-5, Volvos, AMC content

[Amc-list] light flywheels, T-5, Volvos, AMC content

Hey, Davis and you drag-strip guys,

This page you'd think is as far from AMC as you can get, but
it's got some interesting tech info including calculations on
extremely lightened flywheels backed up by actual driving.

http://1800philes.com/t5.html

(I stumbled on it via T-5 searches.)

Basically, this guy switched from a 24 lb flyweel to an 8 lb
(eight!), which calculates (this is the drag-race interest
part) to the equivelant of removing 321 lbs of mass from his
car. Having to spin up a heavy flywheel is WORSE than the
same amount of mass just sitting in the car. He lost a bit of
'parking lot' drivability but not much else.

There's actually a lot of info in there regarding hacking a
T-5 into a car that didn't have one. Serendipitous AMC note:
the Volvo P1800 uses the exact same clutch that the early
Americans use (8", 10 spline x 1"). Same brakes and heater
valve as Rambler too.

PS: where exactly is the AMC number on (manual trans)
flywheels? I have what I beleive is a 304 flywheel but I can't
find the AMC number on it.  There's no balance weights so I
assume it's a 304. Came with my T-150/OD.