Re: [Amc-list] DUH! Re: 64 Ambassador 990!

Re: [Amc-list] DUH! Re: 64 Ambassador 990!

Not to get in a pissing match with you Frank ('cause you're my favorite
AirForce AMCer) but,...

> The Accord body is made in the US, along with many of the body and some engine components. The main engine (long block) and transmission are made in Japan, but hardly 95% foreign made -- more realistically about 25-30% foreign made.
According the the guv'ment, 46% of a Honda is NORTH AMERICAN  (Mexico,
Canada and the US) content.  And Honda is the largest NA content foreign
auto builder so, the others are far worse.  As for the actual content,
of that 46%,  a large portion (the engine) is Canadian (not really a
problem in my eyes but, it's not US).  And let me tell you how another
part of the equation works, if you checked into the NA content
suppliers, you'll find that a significant portion of them are probably
foreign (Japanese) owned (I have no hard facts but that's how it is with
Chinese companies).

>  I know some money gets shuffled back to Japan,
a LARGE portion gets shuffled...

>  but at least Americans have jobs assembling the cars. It' not as good as buying American, but it's better than 100% imported cars.
I think it's worse.  It like the embedded gas tax.  Americans THINK that
they are helping their country by buying a US made Honda and it really
masks the fact of how much money is being funneled out of the country.

It's like taking symptom medicine when you're sick and masking how bad
off you really are.

As for the gas mileage....  Anyone know what sort of mileage you can get
out of a small Rambler with modern fuel injection and electronic
ignition???  I'd love the know that!