Re: [Amc-list] Davis, you ASKED why and

amxron,

I agree, some of us don't mind making our engines and our cars a bit more
bulletproof. Most of the  reason I enjoy detailing things like that is for
the reliability. When I was road racing we tried to cover every detail to
the nth degree. Leaving nothing to chance usually results in less DNFs. We
would use checklists. Just like preflighting an aircraft, we would prepare
the car for each race weekend and each session. A thirty minute session
seemed to go much smoother when your mind was at peace over preparation.
Another thing that really perturbed me was overhauling the car at the
track..........I went to the track to drive a race car, not work on cars. I
did all my prep work in the shop, if the car lasted the weekend without
tearing stuff apart and fixing it, I was a very happy driver/owner, and that
was a personal victory in itself. We did routine maintenance between
sessions, but I remember only one or two sessions of fixing things that
should have been ready to go, and I credit them to learning how to prepare
the car. I experienced only one DNS, and three or four DNFs in about ten
years of road racing. One of the DNFs was from a flat tire. Another was
driver error. The mechanicals of the car failed to get me to the end of the
race maybe once or twice in ten years. Any way what this is all about is
that the best parts and the best preparation does actually pay off in
positive results. For what it's worth, if and when I do get to rebuild that
401, I plan to do it only once, and if that means spending money on
redundant devices for reliability, well I'm all for it.

Davis, I certainly can't fault you for your expertise, I believe you know
exactly what you are talking about. I'm just that kind of anal guy that will
go to any length to reduce the probability of failure.

just my two cents worth.
Armand