Re: [Amc-list] trunnions again (58-63 American, not later!)

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I thought I'd drilled a set out on mine, but after reading Tom's write-ups and recent comments, must have had the bolts drilled out by a machine shop. The bolts are hardened and not easily drilled -- I rebuilt the ones that had to be drilled out over 20 years ago now, so can't quite remember how I did it. Others I've managed to work the bolt out. I recommend that anyone who gets a 58-63 that hasn't had the trunnions replaced pull the upper trunnion apart and clean/grease it. It seems that old mineral based grease, heat, a little pressure, and fine metal particles make a great "welding" compound over time. The lower trunnions are never a problem, just that pin through the upper one.

The next worse thing about the early american front end is that
damned tall skinny spring. It's like a ball point pen spring
with lethal force!

I got mine in and out with chain restrainers and spacers to keep
the spring from boinging sideways, but it was stupid. It really
needs a split-tube type retainer to keep it from going sideways.

Unlike "modern" AMC springs, which are approx. 6 - 7" wide and
14" or so tall uncompressed, the American spring is like 5"
wide and 18" tall. It WANTS to leap out sideways. ANd it's
compressed length-wise a lot! Thin wire! Nice ride though.

I'd never do that again. I'd weld up a split-tube like retainer
from formed 1/8" steel. If you keep the spring straight, it
doesn't need a lot of force to hold it there. Once it starts
to curve, force increases rapidly.