Re: [Amc-list] Electrolytic rust removal

Re: [Amc-list] Electrolytic rust removal

Joe; funny you should write in about this derusting process. I posted this very thing to someone about a month ago as an alternative to the big city chemical poisoning that is so common these days.
I learned this process years ago when I was a kid in high school from a farmer. This was done back in the day when we could overhaul a car using a screwdriver and wrench. In other words, its been around a long time.
Its kinda convoluted, but once it is set up you can just keep the contraption in a corner of the yard and use it when you need.
I use a galvenized water tub instead of a plastic one, and I insulate the metal on a brick. One lead is permanently hooked to the tub, the other lead is clamped onto the metal getting derusted.
Not only is it better than the chemical stuff and cheaper, but when youngsters, or untaught oldsters, see it in action they are amazed at such a wonderful modern concept-that has been around for decades.
Shade tree mechanics rule- posers drool......Russ