Re: [Amc-list] Electrolytic rust removal

Re: [Amc-list] Electrolytic rust removal

I bought one of those 30-40 gallon platic tubs and do
electrolytic rust removal.  I use it for items that
are too large for my bead blast cabinet or which have
too much rust for me to fool with in the cabinet.

I have used sodium bicarbonate for the electrolyte
(but the typical recipe calls for sodium carbonate
(soda ash, washing soda)).  I have some sodium
carbonate on order for my next batch.

I'm derusting some radiator spacer plates for my 65
American right now.  It works well when you want to
minimize the amount of bead blasting required to get
the metal clean. You must degrease the items but you
can leave any paint in place.  The process only
converts the rust and the clean metal under paint is
not affected.

The process turns the ferric oxide (rust) into the
ferrous ion which can be cleaned from the metal
surface using a brush and running water.  A battery
charger set on "manual" with the postive pole attached
to a piece of steel immersed in the solution.  The
negative pole of the charger is connected to the item
being derusted (through a piece of steel wire).

I normally etch the completed pieces with a phosphate
based coating agent and store them until they are
ready for prime and paint.  Once you set up the tub,
it is very convenient to use.  The resulting waste can
be poured down the drain.

There are several references on the web with
instruction s for this method.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA