Re: [Amc-list] general mumblings

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Why'd you rebuild it?

Well 1st gear had badly chipped teeth. It was leaking all over
from every orfice. When "cold" (LA cold!) it did not like to

> You could have just did the third gear pullout, then engage O/D! :]
> All you needed was a new clutch :]

Just about! :-)

> How's the leak with gear lube in it?

Adding the missing seal solved the big leak at the solenoid! Duh!

The rear seal seeps more than I'd like, but it's not wet, and
no puddle.  The repalcement part is not available, so this was
a substitution NW Trans made. Liveable.

Last, the 2-3 synchro problem massively improved with the
straight 50 weight: it never grinds when I shift "early" (low
rpm); when I shift late it *sometimes* grinds. "Grind" really
means it shifts like a dog clutch, CHUNK! into 3rd too fast,
like I was banging gears (I feel out gears on this trans!).

I think that means I have excessive play in the clutch shaft
:: mainshaft, end to end, too much space between the bronze
synchro and 3rd gear thing, whatever that end of the mainshaft
is called, that the 2-3 sliding coupler grabs. With less play,
there'd be more friction. I will drive this way til after the
race (10/11 May) then switch to 90 weight, where I am guessing
all problems will go away.

Learn something new every day.

The T-96 is not a viabl transmission for long term use, simply
due to parts availablity.

If it weren't for the OD, adapting the T-14 from a passenger
car would be fairly easy. Mill the bellhousing for a simple
adapter plate for the two lower holes (lower than T-96 about 1"),
shorten driveshaft/fit funny U-joint (standard driveshaft job),
then fiddle the shifter linkages, which you could do with a
drill press, file and vise.

A T-14 with OD would be totally sweet. I don't think any other
transmissions would fit the bellhousing/engine or the sheet
metal hump. maybe a little auto (AW4?)