Re: [Amc-list] general mumblings (AW4 shifting)

Re: [Amc-list] general mumblings (AW4 shifting)

Mark, wish we could meet up somewhere, then you could drive my car. It's not hard to use a 87-95 trans computer, but I sure like my "semi-automatic"! I use a simple rotary switch (six position from Radio Shack, they don't have a four, so the last two do nothing, or rather the last three -- both solenoids OFF is 4th -- OD) to select the gears. Have to wire in a couple diodes to prevent back-flow in the switch for one selection, but it's easy to figure out. Any trans with a TV cable or linkage can be shifted by simply turning the solenoids off/on in the right combo. The later model GM trannys have an electronically controlled TV switch too, controlled by the computer of course, which makes them harder to control. As long as you have a console with armrest the rotary switch works well and takes minutes to get the hang of. Just put the switch close to where your finger tips naturally lay with arm on rest.

Anything more than a simple switch requires electronic circuitry. Tom could probably figure something out, but it's beyond me! A counter circuit would be needed to go up only three steps (the "at rest" position would be the fourth) then back down. It would have to keep track of how many "ups" and "downs" had been made or you'd have to go all the way up then all the way back down. You don't want to shift 2-up then 3 down to go from 2nd back to first. There was a racing ratchet shifter made that way, I think. Great for racing, hard on the street! One of the "paddle shifter" kits should work, just put the switches in the console on the OD lever.

The big problem with the dual setup you describe is that you'd have to have a computer and a paddle shifter setup. Would be neat, but expensive! You'd also need a switch to cut between the two. A switch with four position, three terminals each ,two positions would be needed -- one for each of the three solenoids and one for power to the computer. Only the three solenoid wires would need to be cut and switched, the computer is effectively "switched out" once power is cut. Diodes would be needed on the lines to the computer to prevent back feeding.

================================

Mark P. wrote:
   But, if I keep having shoulder issues and AW4 will be a much better choice.
I dreamed up a  shifter for it yesterday!  I'd take a twinstick console and modify it.
Left stick would be PRND
Right stick would be set up spring loaded with contacts to up and downshift the AW4's solenoids!
Use the button on top of the stick to lock and unlock the convertor.
I know there are several guys out there making the controllers for use with contact switches, so I don't expect it would be too difficult to build this setup.   I have a console, just need a twinstick overlay to modify...
 I hate to go automatic, but this idea would make it interesting....
------------

Tom J wrote:
I ougta look at the AW4... Frank and others have talked about
this shofter business. Sounds interesting!

I like my little Twin Stick shifter, the pattern is tight, the
shifter reasonably precise for an old, worn, econo shifter. Shows
no signs of falling apart. Would fit on the hump OK.

I've got my console off, with the T.S. shifter visible, if you
want photos of it, let me know.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"