[Amc-list] Assembling the 195.6 OHV

Well, I finally got back to the Rambler project.  I
ran a tap though the bolt holes in the block yesterday
and ran gun cleaning patches through fore/aft oil
gallery.   This block is the second one I have used
for this build.  The machine shop bored it .060
oversize because the first block didn't clean up at
.060 oversize due the corrosion on the cylinder walls.
 It will probably clean up at .080 oversize and I have
heard now that pistons are available so I won't
discard that block.

I put the rings on the pistons today and installed the
mains and crankshaft in the block.  That is the first
rope seal I have ever installed and I sure wish AMC
had used a neoprene seal.  But I read a couple of
articles on the net about how to install one and I
think I got it in OK.   I think I used the Best
Gaskets rope seal and not the seal which came in the
Felpro gasket kit.  There was no brand name on the
packages and I know that Mr. Galvin sent me a Best
brand seal after I complained to him that I specified
the Best brand and he sent me the standard Felpro
brand of seal when I bought the gasket kit.

Bearing clearances on the mains were all 0.0015
(within specs) except for number 2 which was 0.0025.
The crank turns but is a little tight at this point.
Gotta clean up a few more parts then continue with the
assembly.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA