[Amc-list] OT: our 24 Hours of LeMons car...

[Amc-list] OT: our 24 Hours of LeMons car...

I'll keep it quick since this is a Brand F car with nary an AMC
component on it. AMC content: we may strap a slightly mangled
Hornet bumper on the front.

Our website/blog is here

http://www.makewayracing.com/

We drove it for the first time last night. You used to get away
with minor fun stuff in the past, no more. Cops and security
guards every step of the way. There's a > 1 acre (!) parking
lot behind BEST BUY but we got busted driving in. Rentacop was
OK but wouldn't let us use the pad.

1.9L '93 Escorts (auto trans!) are a lot faster when you strip
'em to a shell!  Still a total POS but hey we're squeaking
through the $500 limit...

So two things kill lots of FWD imports at ALtamont: heat (motor,
trans) and crumpling, let's call it.

Heat: TWO radiators, on the hood, each with a fan on
100%. Mounted paranoiacally, such that we can survive a front
end collision without damage to them. (Rubber isolators to the
cowl area, floating on the hood, three-point sliding mount,
bracing, etc.)

I was planning on running them in series, one into the other. My
only concern here is flow restriction with all the hose length
needed (about 6 feet). THese are two stock aluminum cross-flows;
we'd bought a spare, were paranoid about front end whacks
(a certainty) taking out the radiator. Instead, the "spare"
is in service, and if one cracks etc we can plumb it out.

Should they be parallel instead? More plumbing, possible
flow-hogging.

Also using Mark's suggestion of the A/C condenser for
transmission cooling, with two fans. Roof mounted, with some
holeage through the roof to suck cabin air up.

Crumpling-wise: moving the radiator(s) is a big relief. We
braced the crap out the nose. Will add a chunk of thick wall
cage tube over the front where the P.S. pump and pulleys are.

I pulled the wire harnesses out of the front fenders (!) --
fenders which you can PUNCH and dent easily -- hole-sawed behind
the spring towers and pulled it all in through there. One good
hit to either corner would have taken it out.

We have a K&N intake with the factory sensors glued in. Gutted
the twisted, winding soda-straw exhaust and catverter,
replaced with 2.25" flex with a cherry bomb. Those are are
only performance hacks. Oh yeah, new plugs, cuz the gaps were
all .070!!  Simply worn down. Perfect lean color though.