Re: [Amc-list] Blast it all...

"Buy extra window shields for the cabinet, you'll need them.".

I modified my purchased blast cabinet to use 12" x 12" glass (1/8" thick)
which I purchase off-the-shelf from the local hardware store.  Lasts way
longer than any plastic ones, and costs way less.

Many years ago, while the kids were still home and I had more time than
money, I built my own sandblast cabinet from 5/8" plywood to use for
blasting larger items.  Basically constructed a wood cube roughly 24" x 24"
x 24" with the top hinged and slanted for easier viewing.  The bottom had a
large hole, over which I installed 1x2 slats about 4" apart, with regular
metal screening (as in window/door screens) over the top to filter the sand
as it left the unit.  I purchased a Craftsman sandblaster with a bin, using
the gun inside the blaster, and placing the bin below the screen to catch
the used/screened sand and recycle it.  I set up the hinged lid to use
replaceable 12" x 12" glass panes, and installed some large rubber gloves in
two round holes that I cut in the front.  I cut a hole in the back, toward
the top, and installed an old Studebaker heater fan that I had laying around
to exhaust the dust when blasting, attaching flexible dryer exhaust hose to
move the dust out of the vicinity.  I ran the motor from a 12 volt battery
charger (it was a 6-volt motor, but still works to this day).  I originally
installed a couple of incandescent bulbs inside fruit jars on the inside,
updating those several years ago to one of the fluorescent plastic-enclosed
trouble lights.  I did a -LOT- of blasting with this cabinet, and though the
wood does show wear, it's still holding up great and I still use it to blast
items that don't fit inside my smaller purchased cabinet which I have in my
garage workshop; the larger one is in one of my larger storage sheds with my
hydraulic press and other less-frequently used shop tools.

Dan