Re: [Amc-list] Drippy seal Re: trans broken in

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If that's a "modern" seal try finding a like demension NEW seal and take the spring out of it and put it into the NOS seals!
>    I bought an NOS step seal for the pinion yoke on my American from A.J. and when it came in the spring was rusty.
> I scrounged a fresh new spring out of another seal of a similar dimension and put it in the NOS seal. It's been in place 5-6 years or longer, still no leaks.
>   Hmmm, now I see you said replacement/retrofit, so maybe that won't help much...
> I'll leave the reply as someone may use the info...

Hey, that's a good idea!

I NEVER!! throw out old parts until the whole matter is settled
and done.

The OEM seal was mounted in a steel cup, with the usual-looking
lip seal with spring in back. THe new replacement fits into
the tail casting directly, no cup, and has the same type lip
seal. It seemed a bit loose.  THe parts were new manufacture.

The big nut rear, two wrenches notwithstanding, is not as easy
to drop as a later open drive line, where getting the yoke out
is a 15 minute job.

I wiped everything under there dry so that I can assess the
size of the leak. Bigger leak, sooner fix :-)

I do have an extra replacement seal, and the original,
undamaged one.  I'll work this out on the bench and fix it
exactly one more time (I hope :-)