Re: [Amc-list] sectioning a car

I'm aware of that, just planned on deviating at the wheel wells then working them in. On the 58-63 American two door the doors take up the vast majority of side real estate anyway! Planned on pulling and cutting the doors first. As you say though, sectioning a car is a LOT of work, so I probably won't do it. Might use the 65 American instead. Could do everything but section (remove roof, weld doors closed for seamless sides, install six point roll bar for rigidity) and still have a really cool look, but could also leave the roof on and not weld doors (maybe a shave) and have a nice all-weather car too.

------------
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:41:08 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] OT: Frank, about that XR4Ti

I know your speculating, but.
When sectioning a car body, to get a good job out of it you have to do the cut centered on the widest part of the car where ever that may be.....
  It's usualy in the right area anyway.
What you do is find the widest section then mark 1.5" above and 1.5" below that point and cut.
That way when you drop the top down it is the same width as the bottom.
You can fudge a little, but if you get too far away from this section of the body you will be in for a lot of hassles.

Not withstanding the incredible amount of work sectioning a body is anyway :]
If you do this, well you will be in for a LOT of work....
Measure twelve times, cut once....or twice.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"