Re: [Amc-list] "Transmission" rebuild... yeah right!

I remember taking the link on mine apart. I thought it was old tire sidewall, but maybe not. I also recall a thin piece of sheet metal on at least one side of the fabric -- nearly paper thin. Might have been on both sides, but it was broke too on mine. Your solution should work for at least as long as the factory one before it develops enough cracks to fail. Then you can shut it off, start in gear! The old monster has enough torque to do it, believe me!!

----------------
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 19:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

>  The isolation link in the clutch linkage can be replaced
> > with a piece of industrial belting (best) or a piece cut from
> > the sidewall of a tire. A chunk of steel plate like you did
> > works too, but might introduce a bit more wear in the pivots
> > and such.

I think tire would stretch too much, belting would be great. But
it's next to the exhaust... I use thin steel, since it's in
tension, and semi-flexible. I imagine it will develop stress
cracks eventually. It's one of those subtle things, where an
organic material (resined canvas?)  beats everything else.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"