Re: [Amc-list] "Transmission" rebuild... yeah right!

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Dave, check the shift rod adjustments, that's likely the only problem. There's no synchro on the T-96 to make it pop out of gear. If it pops out when you accelerate  it could be the engine/trans mounts. If both of those are good it has to be a worn gear cluster and/or input shaft gear. Nothing to do but replace the gears. I've seen several T-96s with over 100K on them, never had a wear problem on the gears though. The shifter and linkage is another story...

Yeah, Frank's right, I just had mine apart and I can tell you
that if anything, the bias on the gear cuts, and the mainshaft
spiral ti slides on both would cause it to engage, not disengage.

Plus, there's a 1-R vs 2-3 lockout, I suppose it could be broken,
but likely it's the shifter.