Re: [Amc-list] that nutty "big nut" rear, photos

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Matt Haas wrote:

> Just click your wrenches together and repeat three times: There's no nut
> like a big nut!

See if I'm still joking around tomorrow -- it's driveshaft day.

Got the bell on last week. Today, all the little junk then the
trans. I didn't have a clutch alignment tool (hard to find,
oddball shaft), so I eyeballed it for concentric, but left the
clutch plate bolts loose.

Car's on jackstands, I dragged the trans underneath, got
sideways, got it up on my hip, stuck it in the hole... went
right in first shot! Not even 5 minutes!

This bell has a lower dust cover, so I just turned the flywheel
round and round bringing the bolts up tight. Easy. Had to remove
the x-member to put the tin cover on, no big deal. (Remember
this is a four-point mount car, the rear x-member is on the
bell right behind the clutch.

Then I broke both shoft rod clevises. They were hard steel
and brittle! Frozen to the shafts, lock nuts frozen, etc. One
of the few parts I didn't take out, hot tank, media blast and
paint. Welded them back up fine. Took 3+ hours to get all the
small stuff back in, wired, tightened etc.

Parking brake adjuster rod -- nuts frozen, sheared coming apart,
so I'll weld on a new long threaded section. ALl that junk gets
painted and greased.

Tomorrow, the starter (BIG PITA!!) and driveshaft, rear.

Other than old-neglected-car junk, it's an easy car to work
on. It's tight and cluttered only around the clutch linkage,
a bunch of brackets, springs, levers, exhaust and starter all
in the same corner. Took me an hour to figure out how it all
went together there!