Re: [Amc-list] VT-NH Junkyard Laws

JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>It's ironic in that Bennington, Vt is the home office
>of Hemmings Publications too.

You know, as many car hobbyists as there are, you would think that more of them would attend their local board meetings.  This stuff comes up predictably, year after year; yet hobbyists don't show up.  Fine.  If you can't watch what they are doing, at least join your local car hobbyist association, assuming one exists in your state, and throw a couple of hundred dollars at them every year so they can afford to send a hobbyist representative to meetings where cars are being legislated off your property.

Invest in your rights, or lose your rights.

>Hey, I'm an
>environmentalist at heart.  I'm even beginning to like
>the "new" Al Gore I saw on 60 minutes last night, not
>the old wooden statue he used to be.

You gotta be kidding.

>Anyway, i wouldn't think that a few cars would be a
>big threat to groundwater pollution, which is what the
>regulators are pointing to in those regulations.
>Except for the fact that MTBE can be in spilled gas
>and that stuff just loves water.

Interestingly... it was federal regulation that forced the adoption of MTBE.

Ironically... MTBE is not the raw evil it is now claimed to be by OTHER government regulators -- who are forcing it off the market.

Predictably, lawyers are suing the oil companies for using the MTBE they were forced to use by law, claiming damages that haven't been proven in any lab yet.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTBE

Modern cars often have *more* toxic chemicals and metals in them than our old beaters.

>Based on the four car limit, I have two junkyards in
>my back yard now.  Thankfully (Ha.) I'm in California.

The county in which I live, Henrico, is basically a fascist state.  You aren't even allowed to change your oil in your yard.  Any unlicensed vehicle must be screened from casual observation from the street; and here that means a blind fence, or a proper car cover (no tarps permitted).

I have six cars.  The non-op ones (4) are stored in my garage.  I have two others I'm working on that are streetable now, and licensed and tagged -- so no one can whine to any effect (at least under current law).

-- Marc