Re: [Amc-list] badging for a 440 Hardtop

Re: [Amc-list] badging for a 440 Hardtop

Hey Joe(s),

I'm uploading pix to my website (huge payload of other crap, it will
take a while).

http://wps.com/temp/

Look there for files beginning with "6301" soon. Sorry, there's
a lot of crap in there now.

>  There were chromed block letters on the vertical
> surface of the deck lid I think which said "440". I
> don't know if there was an "H" after the 440 on the
> badging, but I do know that the 440H body (other than

I have seen 63 01's with H after 440. Mine's apparantly NOT
ordered as a "440H" though it has most of the options that
define the "H" package. It appears that someone ordered my
car with this specific set of options, rather than an "H" car,
which wouldhave got them the fancy rear seat, etc. Probably some
1963 person with Rambler Mentality (eg. someone who dared to
order what they WANTED :-) didn't want to pay for the seats,
or power steering, power brakes, etc but wanted Twin Stick,
hard top, Powerpak.

> being a hardtop) was distinguised by a contrasting
> color between the two belt line moldings running from
> front to rear on the sides of the car.  On Tom's car
> they had been switched to say "404".  Don't know why.
> 1963 was the first year for the 440 series cars I
> think, and it seems that the marketing people at AMC
> were feeling their way.

I mean who knows after half a century, but the door tag
matches what's visible of the paint on mine: Alpine White all
over. Eg. 440 not 440H.