From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Audi Grem Bell Bolt Pattern
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" Ok - AMC trivia Question time:[
"
" What is the Bell housing Bolt Pattern
" for the Audi 4 in the Gremlin of 1978 - Audi-PORSCHE ?
"
" This would be the same then as the 924-944-964 - correct ?

924 - si; that's the old audi engine
944/964 - no; that's a slant 4 derived from the 928 v8, and btw the
blocks are reynolds 390 aluminum like the chevy vega's.

" From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Brien,
"   I remember hearing years back that it was the same engine (design)
" as used in the Porsche and could therefore be hopped up with Porsche
" parts.  Hopefully Andrew can chime in here with his technical info.

afaik that's a yes; late '60s - mid '70s audi stuff too.

i don't actually know the bolt pattern, except no other amc uses it.
interesting to imagine a porsche or audi 5sp along with bosch efi...
i think the 924 had a transaxle like corvettes now do.

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" WOW!! What a question!! I can only say -- I have no idea. As far as I
" know AMC never cast their own blocks, but I could be wrong. They
" machined them, but the castings came from Germany. I know some parts
" came from Germany, and a few were made over here. AMC originally
" intended to get the tooling and such for castings, but never got
" production up enough to do so. But casting molds aren't expensive or
" hard to ship, so they may have cast the blocks and used a different
" bolt pattern for the bell. I don't know of anyone who would know!
" Only used 2-3 years, and not a lot of cars sold/left with it.

as i heard it, audi was giving the engine line up and going with vw
mills, so vw/audi thought it'd be surplus to their needs.  the 924
wasn't really supposed to happen!  when it did, they obviously
couldn't let go of it as they thought; this may be the reason amc
dropped it.
Andrew Hay