Re: [Amc-list] Torqueing head - bar torque wrench okay?

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> So - bring it up to running temp (if I read right)
> Follow the sequence in the TSM
>    (anyone have it in PDF so I could print it and put a copy on the
> fender? If not, I'll just copy
>     from the TSM)
> Torque to specs in the TSM

You got it. It's not rocket science, luckily, just need
reasonable care eg. drink less than 6 beers you'll do OK :-)

> Question is - are bar torque wrenches accurate enough? Mine is a
> little, ahem, old (a Craftsman from when I messed with a Karmann Ghia
> about 25 years ago). Are dial torque wrenches more accurate?

For this job? Probably fine if you haven't used it in a street
fight or as a pry bar.

> Also, when torqueing - you back off the bolt a little bit first, then
> torque it, right?

I didn't/don't. I have little experience with this motor
and the head-donor in the 'yard... mine, I took the head off
without checking torque, but they were all fairly tight and even
enough. When I retorqued it a few months later it was all tight
(none budged).

The junkyard donor -- that had the ventilated block -- now when
I took those head bolts out, the torques were all over the
place! About half of them were LOOSE! "Snug", but definitely
not 40 or 60 ft/lbs (whatever the TSM says it is).

Probably? You could just touch them up with a 3/8" ratchet by
feel and it'd be just fine. This is a sloppy-tolerance motor
on the whole. You just don't want 'em loose (leaks, blowouts)
or too tight (warpage, pinched gaskets).

But I have to add, old-style loose-tolerance technology really
benefits from extra care, careful measurement and adjusting
to fit. It never ever hurts!