Re: [Amc-list] Zinc oils/roller engine/scraper

NAPA had a small run of filters that didn't have any threads, but AFAIK, none were recalled at least in the past 5 years (other than some mislabeled ones). I know there is a newer Mopar filter that just came out that looks like a 1085 (book even says it is) but we got an email to NOT sell one to a customer because there is a difference that could cause engine damage.
   If you find a Fram PH11 on a parts store shelf with the rubber grip dip, I would pass on it!

From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Zinc oils/roller engine/scraper
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

4. Fram isn't the only one to have had problems. Seems like it was 5-10 years ago that they got a lot of filters with faulty (or no) by-pass valves. Some engines would blow them off or swell them up in short order! By now the problem has been fixed, but they apparently never recalled them, just let them run out through the distribution system. I was told that some NAPA filters (and a couple other brands, probably sourced from the same manufacturer) did the same, but they were quickly pulled from the shelves. I do know that more Fram filters caused more people problems than any others over a longer period of time -- that they didn't pull them is speculation on my part. They may have, but too many got out before they did -- IF they did (so many Fram filter stories that I don't think they could pulled them). So a lot of people won't use Fram to this day.

   This is true.  I have never heard any bad stories on K&N filters and I will stick with them.

Davis