Re: [Amc-list] Swap 2.5 AMC for 2.5 Iron Duke in Eagle

Find an '84 up Eagle with AMC 4 cyl and score the mounts and engine crossbar. You'll need the trans bell too (if std trans. If 904 auto, I can sell you the whole trans or just the trans case, flex plate and converter from an XJ that had TBI). Still have the T5 crossbar sitting here from the '83 J10 (TOTALLY forgot about it till I tripped over it yesterday!)
AX-5 is easy to swap IF the input shaft is the same. (we just pulled one from my son's GF's XJ that we made 4x4 after the tip of the 2wd shifter dropped inside the trans when it wouldn't shift due to a suddenly broken clutch pedal!)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Swap 2.5 AMC for 2.5 Iron Duke in Eagle
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Iron Duke as used by AMC (and all pre-84 AFAIK) use the small block Chevy bell pattern. Later ones use the same pattern as the AMC four -- the small Chevy pattern (used on most, if not all, fours and all 60 degree V-6s, and the Cadillac 4.1/4.5L V-8s -- not sure if the Northstar uses it or not, but might).

Most believe that AMC used that pattern for their engine so that it could use the same drivetrain (mainly transmission) as the V-6 Cherokee (84-86 models used a GM 2.8L V-6, hardly worth more than the 2.5L four!). At the time AMC had planned on continuing to use the V-6. A suspension designer who worked for Jeep at the time claims that the XJ was intentionally designed NOT to use the AMC I-6 because the designer "didn't like it". I'd have preferred the carbed 258 to the 2.8L V-6, but that's just me! The firewall was redesigned and the front of the engine modified to make the 4.0L fit.

I'm not sure how the engine mounts changed in the Eagle when they switched to the AMC four. It was only used a year or two before being dropped. I suggest you visit the Eagle Nest (www.amceaglenest.com) and ask about the engine mounts.

-----------------
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>

What has to be changed if I want to put a 2.5 AMC
engine in my Eagle which currently has an Iron Duke?
For those that don't know, the bellhousing is not the
same on the AMC 2.5 as other AMC's... but is it the
same as the Iron Duke?

What are the differences in the crossmembers?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"