Re: [Amc-list] Swap 2.5 AMC for 2.5 Iron Duke in Eagle

Re: [Amc-list] Swap 2.5 AMC for 2.5 Iron Duke in Eagle

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The Iron Duke as used by AMC (and all pre-84 AFAIK) use the small
" block Chevy bell pattern. Later ones use the same pattern as the AMC
" four -- the small Chevy pattern (used on most, if not all, fours and
" all 60 degree V-6s, and the Cadillac 4.1/4.5L V-8s -- not sure if the
" Northstar uses it or not, but might).

the northstar and 'shortstar' v6 both do, and many of gm's 'newer'
engines, including the last gen of the buick v6 used briefly by kaiser.

" A suspension designer who worked for Jeep at the time claims that the
" XJ was intentionally designed NOT to use the AMC I-6 because the
" designer "didn't like it".

many old-line jeepers thought the relatively big, heavy straight six
was a disaster for a little 4x4.

" I'm not sure how the engine mounts changed in the Eagle when they
" switched to the AMC four. It was only used a year or two before being
" dropped. I suggest you visit the Eagle Nest (www.amceaglenest.com) and
" ask about the engine mounts.

i was just told by a senior jeep mechanic that the mounts are the same
and in the same place as the six mounts - 'it's just like a six with
the front 2 cylinders cut off'.  they don't carry the same p/n in the
'94-6 parts manual though.