Re: [Amc-list] Engine Interchange, 58 Rambler American

A: If something were to happen and say a reasonably pristine Rambler with a dead 196
were to fall into my hands (MUAHAHAHAHA!) then I would be VERY tempted to mod the
intake/exhaust of an AMC 2.5L to run in the car. (tuck the header pipe closer, lift
and curl the intake runners similar to late model Ford 300s) I picked up a fun looking
little carb (Arram?) that is variable venturi that might end up on the BG241 IH motor
to see if a little more oomph and MPGs can be squeezed out of it (6 MPG! Liquid gold
flushed away down the HO*LE* 1 bbl!) before we give up.

From: Frank Swygert  <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Engine Interchange, 58  Rambler American
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mark, you're pretty much SOL. All the  later sixes are way to long for the
"small" American body (58-63). You will  have to rebuild the engine you have or
swap something else in. That probably  gets you to thinking a modern four
would be good, but those have a problem --  they are too WIDE for the small
American engine bay due to the intake manifold  being far from the engine. Some may
fit, but not without some sheet metal  surgery under the hood, and then it
will still be tight. A 60 degree V-6  sounds good, but has the same width problem
-- the accessories are mounted  "wide" on all the rear drive configurations.
If you don't mind spending money  on "hot rod" style accessory mounts, any 60*
V-6 (2.8L - 3.4L Chevy, 2.9L -  4.0L Ford) can be made to work. You'll need
the transmission too, and will  need to have the driveshaft modified. Due to
the accessory brackets and even  changing some of them, this can be expensive!

There is, however, a  reasonably affordable swap -- a Ford 200 or 250 I-6.
They are small bore/long  stroke just like the old 195.6, and are short enough
to fit! They also have  the intake cast as part of the head, and are narrow
enough too. Don't confuse  the 200/250 with the older 240 (used through 64 or so
in cars and trucks) or  300 (used through the 90s in trucks only). Those are
too long!

I would  try to find a 250 from a mid 80s car. I'd only use a 200 if you run
across one  at a great deal (many Mustangs and Falcons came with them and are
being  converted to V-8s), why when you can get the bigger model for about the
same  price? You will need the transmission and have to have the driveshaft
modified, but it won't be costly. In fact, it won't cost any more than
rebuilding a 195.6, even if you have to rebuild the Ford six. There is the  engine
mount issue, but that can be solved relatively easy.

I wouldn't  normally condone swapping a non-AMC engine in an AMC, but in this
case it's  not a bad idea. The 195.6 is dependable, but it's costly to
rebuild and many  parts are very hard to find. The Ford parts are still readily
available, at  least by overnight delivery from a warehouse. Getting the correct
water pump  for a 195.6 is difficult, even when waiting several days for it to
come in! It  will cost $1000+ to properly rebuild the 195.6. That includes
boring oversize  and getting new pistons, and if you do a lot of the work. It
cost me around  $800 when I built one in the early 90s, and I was told I got the
last set of  pistons NAPA had on the east coast. Now you have to get them from
Egge  Machine, or get lucky and find an NOS set. I have a set, but forget now
if  they are L-head or OHV pistons -- I think they are L-head. Saving for a
"rainy  day" project... So if restoring, build the original engine -- nothing
more you  can do! If it's a driver, well, store the original and make
bolt-on  mods where you can.