Re: [Amc-list] flat tappet oil

Bruce, the most cost effective oil seems to be Accel 10W-30 or 10W-40. In the upper right corner of the front label is says (SF quality for model years 1988 and earlier". The SF rating should indicate 1200 ppm zinc and 1000 ppm phosphorous or more. Other Warren oils have that or more. The SF oil is $1.50 or so a quart (I think I paid $1.39 last time), depending on location. It's also sold at Dollar General and other low-cost stores. It's made by Warren Performance Products. I sent them an e-mail earlier today, hope to get an analysis sheet or at least the ZDDP/Phosphorous content back from them. Will post it when/if I get it. They have sheets on-line for their Mag-1 diesel oils, which all contain 1200 ppm ZDDP, 1100 ppm phosphorous. Those can be found at most truck stops, don't know the price.

------------
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:29:29 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

Argh! You guys are giving me a headache!

Okay, what oil should a person use in a 196 OHV engine? Synth? Dino?
10W-40? Heavier? Lighter? Added zinc? Canola from the doughnut machine
(with doughnuts properly filtered with coffee)?

Just looking to have a weekend driver, maybe a daily driver when I
have to go back and get a real job (might not be able to telecommute
in a couple months). I'm not looking for extended wear oils, just
whatever I'm supposed to pop in there every 3K miles.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"