Re: [Amc-list] flat tappet oil

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Okay, what oil should a person use in a 196 OHV engine? Synth? Dino?
> 10W-40? Heavier? Lighter? Added zinc? Canola from the doughnut machine
> (with doughnuts properly filtered with coffee)?

OK, here's my personal distillation of all the chatter, I'll go
out on a limb. If you don't like this advice, I'll refund what
you paid for it upon request. I'm not racing, I drive my Ramblers
15,000 miles/year (between three of them, in no pattern).

OLD ENGINES:

Any of the non-synthetic 10W-30 "high mileage engine" oils from
Mobil, Castrol, others. "High mileage" seems to be market-speak
for higher zinc plus some additives for softening seals.

NEW/REBUILT:

Synthetic Mobil1 15W-50, Mobil1 "High Mileage" 10W-30.

Rumor has it, if you switch to synth after many miles on
non-synth, it loosens all sorts of crud and makes your engine
leak. I'm not testing this theory. Let us know how it works out
:-) I'd run synth oil in my old motors if I thought it would
not cause problems.

ZINC ADDITIVES:

At rebuild/breakin time.

I'm sure there are other solutions.