Re: [Amc-list] Engine Interchange, 58 Rambler American

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Mark Dominesey wrote:

> My 58 American is running good, even with low oil pressure when hot.  I
> know that I will have to do something about that soon.

Cool! 58! Not many of those around now!

> Here is my question: What engines can I interchange into my 58 American
> and bolt to the bellhousing?  Will the later 6's fit, like the 199 and
> 232?  If so, what other mods are necessary?

Umm, any of the 195.6's :-)

199/232/258 -- no way without a sawzall -- seriously, you'd
need another 6" minimum lengthwise to fit it, and likely
sideways hacking too. One quick trip with a tape measure will
show you... the crank pulley would be where the front license
plate is!

Frank points out that the Ford 200 (or others of the 170 family)
would fit in the hole provided, but of course are not bolt-up,
but would require hot-rod-like mods.