Re: [Amc-list] Fw: Info on a Rambler/interchange

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> 1. i don't think the tranny has a cable.  when i got my '67 marlin
> [with 232 and auto] it wouldn't shift, like yours.  took it to a
> tranny shop and found a $20 fitting on the case had busted, leaving
> a vacuum line from the intake hanging and locking the tranny into
> full-throttle-kickdown mode.  one clue was that it would shift
> manually.

The little air-cooled BW has the cable throttle business,
maybe other aluminum case BWs, but others got the vacuum
modulator. Lose that hose and its unpleasant and presumably
harmful!

> 2. you could get an amc 287, 290, or 304 to fit the aluminum
> automatic, but it would be a lot of work for little gain.

Only with great grief and intricate parts interchange -- better
to simply get a engine and transmission with torque tube --
you'll have to find one anyways for the parts.

And sorry to be blunt, but these are not things you do to do
cheap and easy fixes. By far, the cheapest thing will be to
simply fix what you've got. 1965 is 43 years ago! There will be
little chance of finding a "junkyard" or used V8 driveline to
drop in that doesn't come from someone who's rebuilt it. Those
days ended 20 years ago.

The torque tube drivetrains are very very reliable, but not
flexible when it comes to "hot rodding". There's few choices
that fit in any direction.

> a little more juice from the motor, you could try the 2bbl carb setup
> and manifolds from a late '70s or '80s 258 and a hei distributor from a
> late '70s chevy 250, recurved.  this will drop in if you use the gear
> from your points dist.

Yeah, the aluminum intake and matching exhaust will fit, and
the HEI or Durasprk ignition are good upgrades.