Re: [Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

Re: [Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

Tom,
   I have no experience with the new thin oils. I have always used the old Dino style 20-50 or 10W 40. But I too have read that the new light weight oils are for the new tighter engines of today. I would tend to agree.
   Ways to cut down on the drag of suspended oil is to use 5w 40 or 10W40 and using a crank scraper really helps as well.  The serious racers (drag) use the lightest oil possible to get every last bit of power. But they also tear the whole engine down after every run and freshen the motor.
   Davis

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Davis Martin wrote:

> I am not sure I follow what your asking. large clearances with light weight oil, and then you mention not having enough bearing clearance ?

Sorry, I was un-clear. I've read that the thin oils were designed
for modern motors with super-tight bearing clearances, such
that thin oils make a good lubricating/supporting film, and
that stuff like our AMC engines are designed with relatively
large running clearances, requiring a thicker oil (30 weight,
etc) to make that supporting and lubricating film.

How much of that is true, is there a way to get those small
improvements (energy loss from all the suspended oil) in our
old-design motors by using thin oils, but without endangering
them because they have larger bearing clearance gaps.