[Amc-list] 195.6 Progress Report

Well, in my last report I think I said the .060
oversize block was not going to be used because there
was too much clearance between the piston skirts and
the cylinder walls.  The block had been honed to try
to save it at .060 oversize and the roughness from the
rust in the bores was not completely obliterated
either.  So I put that block aside.

I have another block which had previously been bored
.040 so I took it to the machine ship along with one
good .060 over piston and had them magnaflux the block
and do the necessary machine work to bring it to .060.
 I picked up the block a couple of days ago and
yesterday I took all of the connecting rods to the
shop because the shop owner thought it would be good
idea to check them for straightness and dimension on
the lower end.  The one rod that I had taken to the
shop with the block did have some slight problems.

I now have another $400 invested in the engine, which
was originally intended to be a cheap rebuild to put a
65 American back on the road.  I'll have about $1200
to $1500 invested in this engine when I'm through so I
made a decision.  That's too much money to put into a
car I plan to flip as soon as I get it back on the
road and somewhat dependable.

I will build the 195.6 engine with the best parts I
have at hand and use it to replace the aluminum
(stuck) engine in my 63 Classic wagon.  I'll try to
put that car on the road sometime in the next year.
It was sitting in the Nevada desert for about 30
years.

For the 65 American, I will swap the six cylinder
crossmember from the 73 Hornet I got from Tom J. and
install a 69 Rambler 199 which was supposed to be a
running engine.  I bought that engine a few months ago
from a guy hotrodding an American.  He plans a Ferd
302 in that car.  He has a show quality Fairlane in
his driveway now and was enamored with the Car Craft
Rambler articles except he wanted to use a V8 engine
he understood.

So I'll keep posting progress on two fronts:  buildup
of the 195.6 and installation of the 199.  Pictures to
follow in a couple of weeks.

I'm dismantling an 83 Eagle wagon right now and need
to get it out of my driveway.  That's all the news
from Lake Wobegone where the women are.........

Joe Fulton