[Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

[Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

>Hey Bruce,
  > I wanted to see if I could get" just you" wriled up. Sorry if it
worked. Yes I agree you must have some bypass. >What I meant was that we
use the newer filter adapter that has none and we use a K&N filter that
incorporates a >bypass.
  > I don't see why anyone would run oil thicker then 20/50 though. I
run  20/50 during the summer and when it >>gets cooler I run 10/40
  > Caal me crazy. Sorry for messin with ya
   >Davis
 Hey Davis,
 I'm not riled up at all. I apologize if it sounded that way. If you
want to see me riled up let Randy Guynn back out of his cage!! I still
have some of the exchanges I had with HIM!!!
 What got me interested in this post to begin with was that it was
advising blocking the bypass as a standard part of oil system
modification.  I just wanted to make sure folks knew what kind of
problems COULD happen when you do it.
  I still don't know WHY you would want to do this unless you are having
specific problems with the bypass valve. The bypass (when installed and
operating correctly) is not open most of the time anyway. It's a safety
mechanism designed to save your motor and does not hinder performance.

Oh I STILL see "old timey" racers come in the shop who absolutely do NOT
believe that "Salad oil" (Synthetic Oil") can be used in race motors and
are STILL using STRAIGHT 50 weight!! And you will NEVER convince them
otherwise no matter HOW many blown up oil filters they have at home in
the trash!!!!

I used to run "off the shelf" Mobil-1 10-30 in my Toyota race motors,
NEVER had any problems with it other than the owner complaining of the
expense!!

 The Shell engineer advised running the THINNEST weight possible that
did not show any bearing/ piston skirt problems. Once you start seeing
problems move back up one level in weight and that will be the correct
weight for that setup. Some in NASCAR have been experimenting with ZERO
weight for qualifying!!! He said it's not that Synthetic (when compared
equally) is that much better at frictional loss. It's that it's SO much
better at thermal stability that allows it to be run at such light
weight.

But HEY,,, that's just ME!
Bruce Hevner