[Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

[Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

>Had a buddy fire up his SBC for the first time at 2:00am Monday morning
in the garage/gas station he worked at.
>Blew the filter off the block!
>7 quarts of oil on the floor!
>The gas station opened at 7:00am.
>He had to clean the mess and get the car out of the shop before his
boss saw it!
>He did not sleep that night...
>Problem was traced to fresh motor, straight 30W oil and a stuck bypass

This was probably due to a stuck OIL PUMP BY PASS valve. Not FILTER by
pass (but it COULD have been). There is a lot of confusion on the
difference between these two items. Either one can cause the same type
failure. Oil pump by pass sticking is much more common than the oil
filter by pass problem.
Bruce Hevner